Sorry it has been forever since my last post (nearly a month ago)! Between getting a “viral thing” on my 25th bday and changing schedules at work, things have been a little hectic. But things have quieted down a little bit and I’ve made so much good food that I wanna share with y’all.
This dish has become one of my all time faves because its filling and yummy and fun to make. Its probably my husband’s favorite dish that I’ve made since we’ve been married almost 3 years ago. Today’s feature includes whole wheat noodles. There is a recipe that I’m eager to try with zucchini noodles that I’ll feature at a later date (haven’t gone grocery shopping yet this week). You can make this with or without meat. Add more mushrooms or eggplant as a meat substitute.
6 whole grain pasta noodles
2 or 3 cups chopped baby bella mushrooms or eggplant
2 cups chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped kale
2 cups chopped white onion
1 cup sliced tomato
1 glass jar of organic pasta sauce (still haven’t mastered homemade pasta sauce yet)
1 table spoon coconut oil (for sauteing)
1 pound low-fat mozzarella cheese
1 small container low fat ricotta cheese
1 lb ground turkey or chicken breasts, cooked
1. Combine all veggies and coconut oil in deep sauteing pan (not sure of the proper term for this pan lol). Saute veggies until tender. Begin to boil lasagna noodles in tall boiling pot.
2. Skip this option if you are going meatless. If you want meat, simply add the pound of cooked turkey meat or chicken breasts to rest of mixture. Allow to saute for 5 more minutes. Take out al dente lasagna noodles from boiling water and place them separately on cooking sheets (dinner plates work just as well if you don’t have cooking sheets). Lasagna noodles like to stick together and curl if you leave them on top of each other for a while.
3. Add sauce to pan. Heat with everything else for 10 minutes.
4. Lasagna is all about layers. Place a thin layer of the sauce combination on the bottom of a glass or tin 8″ by 11″ pan. Place 3 cooked lasagna noodles on top of the thin layer of sauce. Then, place a more heftier amount of sauce/filler on top of the noodles.
5. Sprinkle half of bag of mozzarella cheese on top of sauce filling. Add a tablespoon of ricotta cheese to each of the four corners of the pan on top of the sauce filling.
6. Add another layer of 3 noodles.
7. Add a final layer of sauce filling and mozzarella.
8. Place aluminum foil on top on pan. Heat in oven at 375 degrees for 45 mins. Let cool for 15 mins. Serve in squares. Should be a really tasty meal!!